Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Spicy Tomato Sauce with Chickpeas

Been a while since I have blogged, but my sister inspired me to get my butt in gear and begin again! With all this modern technology at my finger tips there is just no excuse why I shouldn't be sharing my love of cooking. So here is my first post back after an extended break!

I love eggs! I got chickens last year so I could be sure to have fresh eggs all the time. But for anyone that knows me, I am not one to do just normal food, I like to add interesting accents. In this case the interesting accent is a Spanish tomato sauce with chickpeas.I also am trying to add fiber into every meal I consume and do that with natural grains and beans in an attempt to steer away from bread, hence the chickpeas.


I love to make two over easy eggs in a nonstick pan, simple a dash of s&p.  I take a spoonful or two of the tomato mixture, place the cooked eggs on top and VIOLA breakfast.  The unctuousness of the egg yolk seeping into the tomato sauce is pure HEAVEN.  Very fulfilling and satisfying! 


SO here it how it goes.....


Spanish Tomato Sauce


I like to start the sauce earlier then the eggs so it has time to simmer and let all the flavors come together and develop. I begin with shallots and garlic
Heat a skillet over medium heat add about a tbsp of oil and add minced garlic and shallots and saute' till softened.
At this point I like to add my dried herbs to just get a little heat on them to bring out the fragrance.  For this I add 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes and about 1 tbsp of Williams Sonoma Pizza Seasoning.  Is is full of delicious Italian herbs. 
You only want to leave this for a minute, MAYBE.  You just want them to smell.  At this point I add my canned tomatoes. I like to use Cento brands whole San Marzano tomatoes in their juice, I think the flavor is very full bodied. I use 2 cans and then I added for a little tang, about a cup of cut up sweet 100 tomatoes, yellow and red for some color pop. I think they give a nice acidity and fresh texture.  At this point I add salt and pepper and about 2 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar and then let it simmer for about 1/2 hour or even longer if you like,  stirring occasionally breaking up the tomatoes more and more as you go.


This is the point where you add 2 16 oz cans of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) that have been drained and rinsed and about 1/4 chopped fresh basil.  Stir and let heat through and it is ready to go!  You might taste for final seasoning.  Sometimes if the tomatoes were too tangy, I might add a little sugar but usually the long cooking down process does the trick. 

A one cup serving is about 180 Calories and a WHOPPING 8 grams of fiber! Two whole eggs are about 144 calories so 324 calories for a very fulfilling breakfast AND you technically got fruit (tomatoes are a fruit) fiber and protein from your eggs, very well rounded meal ! I hope you enjoy!




No comments: